You really don’t need a ton of accessories to maintain the health and happiness of your Chinchilla, but it’s really nice to buy a few of the extra items that will keep you Chinchilla occupied and at his or her best.
Basic Accessories you will need include:
- a hay rack (unless one is built into the cage),
- a water bottle,
- a food dish which cannot be knocked over,
- a dust bath,
- food – Oxbow essentials, APD-Alffy Pellets (American Pet Diner) and Mazuri pellets. and alfalfa cubes
- chinchilla dust or chinchilla sand. Do not use ordinary sand as this is too coarse. Read my post “Why Do Chinchillas Need Dust Baths” to decide which one you want to use.
- 100% kiln dried all natural pine – wood based cat litter is ok. Alternatively, you may line the litter tray with newspaper or dog pee pads provided the chins cannot reach the paper. Do not use sawdust as this is too fine, and do not use cedar wood shavings (cedar is harmful to chins).
- pine box for hiding and chewing
- lava rocks,
- LOOSE Timothy Hay